During the past two months I have had the privilege of visiting several countries in South and Central America. Some things I have seen have been amazing and encouraging. Other things have been less than encouraging.
WHAT HAS BEEN ENCOURAGING?
Seeing trained and godly leaders taking their fellowships into new and exciting ministries. Seeing people who used to be far from God now serving Him by serving others. Seeing veteran missionaries excited about mentoring the next generation missionaries into effectiveness. Seeing TEAM’s legacy in South America and confirming through the visible results just how effective our predecessors were in ministry. Being warmly welcomed by our Mexican friends during a recent trip to La Paz and seeing their joy at our pending return to live there.
WHAT HAS BEEN LESS THAN ENCOURAGING?
Seeing evidence that much of the church in South and Central America is weak and not impacting the culture or society in any meaningful way. Seeing many church goers who don’t seem to understand that Jesus followers are to be doers and not just hearers of the word. Seeing vast segments of the church being seduced by materialism and the pursuit of prosperity. Seeing some members of a congregation attempt to close down a ministry to street kids because the kids might “defile the holiness of the sanctuary.”
PRAISE AND PETITIONS
– Joel has a good job that matches his degree from college. He is helping expand the market of a manufacturing company which is growing internationally.
– Claire has a summer job, working as a steward on a mega-yacht in the Mediterranean. She starts the job as soon as she finishes her short term missions experience in Antalya, Turkey.
– We are still making plans to return to Mexico. We still need to rent our house out and we need to raise more support.
– I am working to help TEAM enter 5 new countries. Pray I will do it well. We are entering the new countries through partnership with existing national ministries. Pray that TEAM will be a good partner.
– Pray also for us was we develop TEAM’s creation care ministries.
As Lois and I raise our support we are seeking new partners who will stand by us as many of you have for so many years. We are grateful for the partners we have. If any of you have any suggestion regarding potential partners we would love to hear about it.
Steve’s cell phone 630 639 8378 Lois’s cell phone 630 221 0308 Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
To make a contribution click here DONATE HERE or mail a check to TEAM PO Box 969, Wheaton IL 60189
To read my fun (sometimes serious blog) click here MACROCHRISTIAN
This is a fun way to “go to church.” A taco meal with friends in La Paz.
Craig Querfeld, Me, Luis Alfonso, Luis Carlos at the Bogota airport. The making of a team